Our History

  • 1800's
    • 1851

      Pacific Club founded as The Mess, on Maunakea Street, with William Lowthian Green as President.

      1867

      Union Street clubhouse purchased for $2,000. Name of The Mess formally changed to The British Club.

      1870

      Kamehameha V becomes a member.

      1892

      British Club changes name to The Pacific Club.

      1893

      Liliuokalani deposed, monarchy ended. Clubman Sanford B. Dole heads provisional government.

      1899

      Princess Kaiulani dies at the age of 23.

  • 1900's
    • 1919

      Billiard room converted into Lady's Annex.

      1926

      The Pacific Club buys old Cleghorn estate on Queen Emma Street.

      1930

      Pacific and University Clubs merge as The Pacific Club. First meeting of new Club held October 10.

      1941

      Pacific Club names emergency war committee, cancels New Year's party, authorizes air raid shelters on grounds.

      1951

      Pacific Club centennial celebrated. Service begins at pool terrace (grill and pavilion added the following year).

      1954

      Art Committee recommends relaxing racial policy. Denied by membership.

      1959

      Hawaii granted statehood. First jets arrive. Club member William F. Quinn becomes first elected governor of the new state. Contract signed for new clubhouse without cottages. Groundbreaking held.

      1965

      Vladimir Ossipoff receives Hawaii Society AIA award for design of clubhouse. Mortgage burned; Club clears debt.

      1968

      Racial policy scrapped. Philip Ching and Asa Akinaka join Club.

      1970

      Tiare Terrace built.

      1980

      Eileen Anderson, first woman mayor of Honolulu, elected honorary member. She returns membership in 1982 because of Club's stand against women members.

      1983

      State legislature threatens with “Pacific Club Bill.” Members vote 70-30 in favor of admitting women.

      1984

      After long years of debate, Club welcomes Andrea L. Simpson as first woman member.

      1985

      Men's and Women's locker and weight building constructed.

      1989

      The Pacific Club admitted as a member of Distinguished Clubs of the World, an organization of 22 major metropolitan clubs, each at least 100 years old.

      1990

      Gail Ann Chew elected first woman member of Board of Governors. Card Room opened to all members, men and women alike.

      1991

      Membership passed 1,000 mark.

  • 2000's
    • 2001

      Club celebrates 150-year anniversary.

      2002

      Club undertakes major capital improvement plan to renew clubhouse and grounds. All-new state-of-the-art lighting and sound systems installed.

      2004

      The Garden Lanai renovated to Mangos Bar.

      2008

      The Lounge renamed to the Val Ossipoff Room in honor of Clubhouse architect Vladimir Ossipoff

      2014

      The Club celebrates Mangos restaurant's 10th Anniversary.